Atlantic Frontier: Berlenga Island Small Group Tour
- Duration: 10 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Lisbon
- Product code: AFSHR
Meet your Around Lisbon guide at your central Lisbon meeting point (Restauradores Tourism Office) and depart for the fishing village of Peniche in a climate-controlled vehicle. On arrival, board a boat for the 45-minute crossing to Berlenga Grande, a postcard-perfect island characterized by secluded caverns and twisting rock formations.
After your boat drops anchor at the tiny island’s port, you’ll enjoy some free time to pick up refreshments or stretch your legs with a stroll on the beach. Then, board a smaller boat destined for St John the Baptist Fort (Forte de São João Baptista), a 17th-century fortress built from the ruins of an old monastery.
Explore the stronghold with your guide and hear fascinating stories of invasions and pirate sieges. Then, uncover the island’s flora and fauna with a 1-hour walk through the Berlengas Nature Reserve (Reserva Natural das Berlengas).
Back at port, break for lunch at one of the seafront eateries (own expense) or, if you've brought food with you, have a picnic on the beach.
When the time comes, join back up with your group for the included cave kayaking excursion. Alternatively, if you’d prefer a less demanding activity, explore the caves in a glass-bottom boat.
After, travel back to Lisbon, where your tour concludes with a drop-off at your hotel.
- Berlenga Grande island day trip from Lisbon, led by an expert guide
- Relax during a scenic boat crossing from Peniche fishing village to Berlenga Grande, an UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
- Snap photos of the imposing St John the Baptist Fort Explore the Berlengas Nature Reserve
- Make the most of free time to swim, snorkel or relax on the beach
- Explore the island’s caves and cliff faces on an included kayak or glass-bottom boat excursion
- Numbers limited to eight, ensuring a small-group experience
- Departure point: Palácio Foz Tourism Office (in "Restauradores Square" / Subway "Restauradores")
- Departure time 8am (10 minutes tolerance)
- Duration 10 hours (approximately)
- Returns to original departure point at approximately 7pm
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking difficulties
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear
- Bring your swimwear, towel and sunscreen
- The weather and sea conditions may not always allow the boat trip to go ahead
- The weather and sea conditions may not always allow the kayaks and glass bottom boat trip to go ahead
- Some people may get seasick on the boat trip