Faith and Heritage: Fátima, Batalha and Óbidos Shared Tour
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Lisbon
- Product code: FHSHR
Meet your Around Lisbon guide at your local Lisbon hotel for your day trip to Fátima, Batalha, Nazaré and Óbidos.
Hop aboard your air-conditioned minivan and drive about 115kms north of Lisbon and arrive to Fátima, a city that developed after the apparitions of Virgin Mary back in 1917. At Fátima Sanctuary you'll find
an unique ambiance of devotion, whether you're a believer or not, it's impossible to feel indifferent at this place of great spirituality that receives millions of pilgrims each year. Learn all about the legend of
Virgin Mary's apparitions to three shepherd children in 1917 and what became the most adored devotion in Portugal: the one one Our Lady of Fátima.
Continue to Batalha and visit the best example of late Gothic (14th century) architecture in Portugal, the Batalha Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage site. It was built in commemoration of the 1385 battle (batalha) of Aljubarrota against the Castillians and its original name is in fact Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitória (Monastery of Saint Mary of the Victory).
Stop at Nazaré, a charming seaside town where local fishermen haul in fresh catches from the ocean. Don't miss the oportunity of tasting this fresh fish at lunch (own expense). After, learn all about the legend of Nazaré and how the Virgin Mary had a miraculous intervention in 1182, which saved the life of the Portuguese knight Dom Fuas Roupinho (possibly a Templar) of falling down a 100 meter cliff, while he was hunting deer one morning in a dense fog. On this place it was built a chapel.
Nowadays Nazaré is also known for being the capital of big wave surfing, holding the record of the largest wave ever ridden (33 meters), in 2015.
Take the scenic Atlantic coast road that passes São Martinho do Porto village and Óbidos Lagoon , on our way to Óbidos, considered by many the highlight of this day trip.
Fall in love with this beautiful medieval walled village, and wander around its winding cobbled streets, find small handicraft shops and taste the famous and typical Ginjinha, a local liqueur made of cherry.
After such a complete day head back to your Lisbon hotel where this tour ends.
- Learn all about the legend of Virgin Mary apparitions to three children in 1917
- Visit the amazing Batalha Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Stop at the quaint fishing village of Nazaré, capital of big wave surfing
- Drive the scenic Atlantic coast road to São Martinho do Porto and Lagoa de Óbidos
- Fall in love with Óbidos, one of the most charming and beautiful medieval villages in Portugal
- Taste a typical Ginjinha cherry liqueur
- Departure point: your centrally located Lisbon hotel
- Departure time 9h30am (exact pickup time will be confirmed within 48h prior to the tour)
- Duration 8 hours (approximately)
- Returns to original departure point at approximately 7pm